6 reasons to start an Alzheimer's diagnosis at Fundació ACE
Facing a diagnosis of dementia has implications, not only for the person with cognitive impairment, but also for their closest environment.
Family caregivers are essential throughout the process of dementia and that is why both families and people with cognitive impairment need to feel accompanied, especially at the beginning of the diagnosis and in the following months.
In this article we give you 6 reasons why you should choose the accompaniment of a centre such as Fundació ACE, a pioneer in the diagnosis of dementias and Alzheimer's and with more than 30 years of experience.
1. Holistic approach. At Fundació ACE we are clear that undertaking a diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of people with cognitive impairment must be carried out as a whole. The diagnosis in Fundació ACE is analyzed from different prisms to obtain the most information on general health, cognition and family situation of the person who comes to visit us.
2. Consensus diagnosis. Every day, a multidisciplinary team of neurologists, neuropsychiatrists, social workers and geriatricians meet and discuss each case to establish a final diagnosis and a global therapeutic strategy, considering the psychosocial context and the care structure available for the person with cognitive impairment. One diagnosis will never be the same as another because each case and family context is different.
3. Integration in the public health system. Fundació ACE is a health provider center and therefore shares the diagnosis with the shared medical history of the Public Health system, so that the referring doctor and other specialists can access the results of the tests carried out by our team.
4. Attention to contingencies. Each professional involved in the diagnosis of Fundació ACE dedicates 30 minutes a day to attending to contingencies; that is, spontaneous consultations that arise about medication, treatment, legal procedures or crisis situations that arise in coexistence. This is equivalent to having at least 1 person dedicated full time throughout the year to resolve contingencies.
5. Caregivers Space. At Fundació ACE we believe that it is essential to inform and train the families and caregivers of people who have just received a diagnosis of dementia. Since 2019, the Social Work area has organized a series of 5-hour group trainings, completely free and in online and/or face-to-face format, to address issues such as home care or post-diagnostic questions. In 2020, more than 300 people attended our online workshops.
6. Facilities and proximity. In our Day Care Center or Day Care Hospital, as well as in the Memory Workshops, people with cognitive impairment can follow their integrated psychostimulation program, while their neurologist will monitor their progress on a quarterly basis.
There is no opportune or adequate moment to face a diagnosis of dementia or Alzheimer's, but in doing so it is vitally important to have a first-rate medical team, capable of accompanying and responding to the doubts and challenges that the dementia process presents.
At Fundació ACE we want to sensitize society about the importance of an early diagnosis to have a much better chance of slowing down the course of cognitive decline. That's why, since 2008, we've been offering free memory checks to people over 50. Since the beginning of this initiative, the memory of more than 3,000 people has been evaluated.
More information anbout free memory checks:
93 430 47 20