The objective of support groups, aimed at family members of people with cognitive deterioration and / or dementia, is to give them support. Groups are led by dementia specialists, psychologists and social workers. Sessions deal with issues related to theoretical and practical aspects of the dementia process.
They aim to:
– Offer integrated training about the disease with the objective of providing tools and strategies to competently meet the needs (both objective and subjective) that arise in the care of a person with dementia.
– Teach skills to enable successful intervention in the increasing dependency that accompanies the disease.
– Provide strategies for the redirection of behaviour.
– Train in techniques to reduce and deal address overburdening of the carer.
– To provide support and the opportunity to share emotions, difficulties, problems and ideas through the group experience.